Have a resource for quick reference always helps, especially as time becomes more valuable, retention becomes less and less, or you need to share what you’ve learned.
Making lids for pottery jars and containers can demand more attention – some break, some aren’t sized well enough, some don’t pair just right, etc. So tips and resources are well appreciated, regardless.
Tip #1: Make 2 Lids per container
Tip #2: Size and Resize
Tip #3: Measure, Trim, Measure again
- Shrink Calculator: https://photopottery.com/clay-shrinkage-calculator.php
- Google Search!
- You’ll find great articles by established businesses (https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/pottery-making-techniques/wheel-throwing-techniques/how-to-make-a-lid-for-a-jar-on-the-pottery-wheel/).
- You’ll find some really great images, diagrams and little gems.
- Social Media is a blast too. Many times you’ll find a treasure trove using PinTerest, and sometimes Instagram’s #PotteryLids.
- You’ll find a wide range of videos on YouTube, from funny to epiphany quality!
- Types of Lids
- 7 great images courtesy of Beth E Peterson / The Spruce
- Special concept: Locking Lid